Wednesday 8 February 2012

Interesting Cover (6)

Adbusters Magazine
This magazine was found in the Learning Commons by our classmate, Kimberley and was suggested as a blog material.

The cover had a picture of a gigantic hamburger and few words that followed: "Are We Happy Yet?"

One picture and a few words had such a big impact on me; it provoked me to ponder about some big ideas: human's endless wants, ignorance of the needy, and some environmental issues created by the actions taken. 

I studied inside of the magazine and there was not really an article or connection back to hamburger itself but they had some neat articles to raise awareness around the world. 

Go to: http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/100! It was quite an interesting reading.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you actually spent the time to look over this magazine! I like how you connected a cover of a mazagine to some very interesting and still unknown questions. At times I think, it is these types of magazine covers that attract the readers to wonder what the meaning behind this so simple looking picture could mean. Just a suggestion for future blogs, perhaps you could include some insight from your Icons book about what they have to say about magazine covers of such. Good Job Cyndy ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an exciting topic this must be! I have to say that I was shocked to learn that a Hamburger would be on the cover of a magazine. I liked that you tied it into Americas endless need for material goods. The Hamburger is such an American food, and the fact that it is massive in this picture almost sends the message that America has become obsessed with having the most, and biggest things. But isn't it interesting that they chose the Hamburger to represent this. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate that connection. My first thought when looking at that burger was yummy!, then shortly after a little bit disgusting. I wrote an essay today on the role of excess in the decline of civilizations throughout history. If they had written an article on the excess of America, using that as the image it would have been a very interesting read. I think the hamburger does very well to represent the excess in America.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cyndy,

    You do a great job here of tying in something you saw in your everyday life to your book topic, I really appreciate that connection. I agree that one picture can have such a large impact. This deca-burger looks both repulsive and delicious, and it made me think, like you, about bigger issues plaguing America today, from obesity to consumerism. Great work!

    ReplyDelete